The city of the two seas
Taranto, named “the city of the two seas”, overlooks Mar Grande and Mar Piccolo, benefiting from a strategic position, which made it protagonist of well-known historical events.
Precious ancient evidences are preserved at Marta, the national archeological museum, where it is possible to admire the famous “Ori di Taranto” (Taranto’s Golden Treasure), refined productions of local goldsmith’s art between the IV and the II century BC, together with the immense collection of archeological findings from all over the Ionic province.
The history of Taranto is outlined by the two bridges that connect the old city with the new one. Alongside the stone bridge build after the flood of the year 1883, a swing bridge was introduced in 1887, manifesting the charm that the great mechanic engineering works have, and it leads to the maze of the alleys in proximity to the central Via Cava, where it is possible to find various artisan shops.
In this isthmus of land stand out noble architectures and churches of different times and styles, like the Cathedral dedicated to St. Catald, a mixture of Romanic and Baroque style, or the Church of St. Domenico, with gothic elements.
- Cattedrale di San Cataldo
- San Domenico Maggiore’s Church
- Marta, National archeological museum
Distance from Martina Franca: 25km – 25 minutes